Consultation for the proposal to open a new special free school in Sunderland is now complete.
The new school is to be named Harry Watts Academy.
Vision for the school
- Improving the educational experiences of all our pupils
- Recognising and celebrating the achievement of both pupils and staff
- Providing a stimulating learning environment in which the team of highly skilled staff deliver well-resourced, quality first teaching to meet the needs of all pupils
- Working in partnership with the local authority, parents, trustees, governors, stakeholders and the wider community
- Valuing the entire school community, promoting well-being and encouraging spiritual, moral, social and cultural development in an atmosphere that fosters the growth of respect and responsible behaviours
- Ensuring a safe, secure and supportive environment that allows pupils to become more independent and resilient, where they can be happy and enjoy learning
Our education offer
Harry Watts Academy will be a specialist autism school providing education for up to 96 children aged 5-16, as a direct result of the increased demand for autism places within the Sunderland special school system. The school will compliment existing provision within the city, responding to both pupil place planning pressure and parental demand for autism places in Sunderland and neighbouring areas.
The number of children with autism whose needs cannot be met within the mainstream sector is also rising proportionally to the school age population. Creation of additional specialist places will ensure those who are best suited to specialist provision are more appropriately placed.
Within Prosper Learning Trust we believe we bring the expertise of specialised autism services to enable a successful establishment of the new school.
Once open we will ensure a positive and enjoyable learning experience for pupils and a great place to work for staff.
Harry Watts Academy is due to open in September 2020 in temporary accomodation before moving to new buildings in January 2021.
For more information please visit our website at: