Consultation for the proposal to open a new special free school in Sunderland, the new school is to be named Harry Watts Academy, began this month.
Vision for the school
- Improving the educational experiences of all our pupils
- Recognising and celebrating the achievement of both pupils and staff
- Providing a stimulating learning environment in which the team of highly skilled staff deliver well-resourced, quality first teaching to meet the needs of all pupils
- Working in partnership with the local authority, parents, trustees, governors, stakeholders and the wider community
- Valuing the entire school community, promoting well-being and encouraging spiritual, moral, social and cultural development in an atmosphere that fosters the growth of respect and responsible behaviours
- Ensuring a safe, secure and supportive environment that allows pupils to become more independent and resilient, where they can be happy and enjoy learning
Our education offer
Harry Watts Academy will be a specialist autism school providing education for up to 96 children aged 5-16, as a direct result of the increased demand for autism places within the Sunderland special school system. The school will compliment existing provision within the city, responding to both pupil place planning pressure and parental demand for autism places in Sunderland and neighbouring areas.
The number of children with autism whose needs cannot be met within the mainstream sector is also rising proportionally to the school age population. Creation of additional specialist places will ensure those who are best suited to specialist provision are more appropriately placed.
Within Prosper Learning Trust we believe we bring the expertise of specialised autism services to enable a successful establishment of the new school.
Once open we will ensure a positive and enjoyable learning experience for pupils and a great place to work for staff.
Harry Watts Academy is due to open in September 2020 in temporary accomodation before moving to new buildings in January 2021.
For more information please visit our website at:
HAVE YOUR SAY
We are keen to hear your views during this consultation phase which runs until 12th October 2019. This is your opportunity to influence our proposals and to ask any questions you feel are relevant.
Complete our online survey
If you would like to attend one of our meetings, hear more and ask any questions we have scheduled meetings during the consultation:
|Partner Agencies||18-Sep||2.00pm||Sunderland College, Room 1-22, Bede Campus, Durham Road, Sunderland, SR3 4AH|
|School Event (inviting Chairs)||23-Sep||4:30pm||Biddick Academy, Biddick Lane, Washington, Tyne & Wear, NE38 8AL|
|Elected Members, Councillors, LA Officers||24-Sep||1:30pm – 2:30pm||Committee Room 5, Civic Centre|
|Parents 1||24-Sep||4:00pm||Willow Fields Primary School, Winslow Close, Sunderland, SR5 5RZ|
|Community 1||24-Sep||5:30pm||Willow Fields Primary School, Winslow Close, Sunderland SR5 5RZ|
|Community 2||30-Sep||10:00am||Committee Room 5, Civic Centre|
|Parents 2||30-Sep||1:00pm||Redby Community Centre, Fulwell Road, Sunderland, SR6 9QU|
|General Event/Drop In||30-Sep||4:00pm||Biddick Academy, Biddick Lane, Washington, Tyne & Wear, NE38 8AL|
Email or Write to us
You can email us at email@example.com or complete the online form and submit to: Mark Jones, or write to Mark at Prosper Learning Trust, Linhope Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE5 2LW